GasAsk.com is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – Symptoms, Effect, Treatment, Prevention

Carbon Monoxide is a common gas produced in your home. Despite it is produced at home, it is extremely dangerous and causes some serious problems. Besides, it cannot be seen, tasted, or smelled which makes it even more dangerous.

That is why you should know all the things about Carbon monoxide poisoning. So we have come up with everything you should know about CO poisoning so that you can follow it and reduce the chances of this poisoning.

Symptoms

The symptoms of CO poisoning vary based on the concentration of the Carbon monoxide you take, your physical condition, and the time you consume it. If you breathe a good amount of Carbon monoxide by any chance in a poorly ventilated room, you may have some serious problems including:

  • Shortness of breath
  • Headache
  • Personality changes
  • Fatigue
  • Unusually emotional behavior
  • Malaise (a generally sick feeling)
  • Clumsiness or difficulty walking
  • Dizziness
  • Vision problems
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Confusion and impaired judgment
  • Rapid breathing
  • A rapid or irregular heartbeat
  • Chest pain

Even if you take a high amount of CO for a long time, you can die according to Harvard University. Lack of treatment can make you senseless, send into a coma, and have a seizure as well. If you take a very low level of CO, it might not affect you. However, taking an even low level of CO for a long time can cause you fever, fatigue, and others.

Effects

As we all know that oxygen is the most important thing for our body, but do we know that CO has no need at all. So when we take CO, it creates no benefits to our body and at the same time, deprives the blood of oxygen.

Co binds to hemoglobin 200 times easier than oxygen. That means if CO is present in your body, oxygen will have no place to stay. As a result, the affected part will die and some parts of the body will remain oxygen-less.

How long does it stay?

CO leaves the body as it gets in. It will leave the body automatically after 5-6 hours. Even it can be recovered if additional oxygen can be provided. When the oxygen gets into the body, it slowly replaces the CO and starts recovering. However, due to the killing of cells, anyone can have difficulties in the long run.

Treatment

The first step of treatment is to move the person away from the gas source and give as much fresh air as possible. Then based on the symptoms, necessary steps should be taken. If the symptoms are severe, the person might need to be taken in the hospital. In the hospital, the person will get a pure 100% oxygen supply to the lungs. Or for more severe symptoms, the doctor will provide the necessary treatment.

Sources of CO

A lot of sources are available for CO sources. It can be from the gas heater, stove, fireplace, gas leak, gas dryer, gas water heater, bus, truck, and others. However, in-home, it happens due to improperly vented appliances or incomplete burning of woods, fuel, or gas. That is why a lot of homeowners are now using a CO detector along with a propane detector for additional safety.

How to get rid of Carbon Monoxide

We should take all the necessary steps to get rid of this carbon monoxide poisoning. And for that, prevention is the best option. To prevent carbon monoxide from growing in your room or home, you should follow these.

  • You should keep all of your room ventilated all the time. For that, you can keep all your doors and windows open. An open room will let the air come in and CO goes out.
  • To detect and monitor the gas, you should install a carbon monoxide gas detector in your home. It will automatically detect the gas and let you know about it through a mobile app or alarm.
  • Keep the flue open whenever you use a fireplace. It will help you reduce CO production.
  • Try to avoid hibachis grills or charcoal grills inside the home. These grills tend to produce more CO than others.
  • Do not try to install the fuel-burning appliances by yourself because a faulty installed appliance can release CO a lot. Always install them with a professional. You may save a few bucks, but the loss you will suffer in the future is far more than this save.
  • Before turning your heater on during the winter season, make sure you have made it inspected by a professional. A common problem with unused heater is that it releases CO a lot.
  • Do not try to heat your home artificially by stove, oven, or others. These are the most common and main sources of carbon monoxide gas.
  • Make sure you make the car warm for driving during winter in the outside. A lot of people leave the car in the garage. It can highly release CO gas.
  • All of the chimneys should regularly be swept by a professional sweeper at least twice in a year.
  • Keep your generator at least 20 feet away from your window or door because it generates CO and can send it to your home.
  • And lastly, you should get educated about this poisoning and make others aware of it. For this, read this content carefully and share it with your friends so that your friends can see it.

Conclusion

Almost all the sources release carbon monoxide gas. That is why carbon monoxide poisoning can happen at any time at your home or working place. Now you know almost everything important about this poisoning. It is a dangerous gas that can cause even death. So it is time to be careful and serious about gas poisoning and take all the prevention measurements. You know, prevention is better than cure. So be smart and be safe.

Leave a Comment